Watch this space!
The aim of the Israeli Chapter is to pursue the mission of ICON•S within Israel.
The Chapter is established in order to:
- Promote the values of ICON•S, and in particular, the commitment to an inter-disciplinary approach to public law that engages constitutional, administrative and international law scholars and practitioners so as to better understand global and transnational legal developments;
- Advance and promote the fundamental constitutional values of democracy, equality, justice and human rights.
- Work with ICON•S to promote knowledge of and membership in the organization globally;
- Promote the capacity and engagement of junior scholars, and scholars from the Global South, within the work of ICON•S;
- Complement and work cooperatively with existing national and regional organizations, but remain distinct from them;
The chapter shall:
- Be organized in a way that reflects ICON•S commitments to transparency, accountability and good governance, as well as equality and diversity;
- Regularly disseminate notice of its events and activities via ICONnect and ICON•S-IL blog, and communicate an annual summary of its activities to the ICON•S Executive Committee;
- Be subject in its scope, governance and membership, to periodic reviews (approximately every 3 years) by the members of the ICON•S Executive Committee, with the possibility of being asked by the Executive Committee to dissolve, reconstitute or alter the scope and membership;
- Promote joining ICON•S and paying the ICON•S annual membership fee;
- Submit to ICON•S information on its activities, which will, where appropriate, be featured on the ICON•S website.
Governance of the Chapter
The Chapter will be governed by two co-chairs that will take decisions by agreement in consultation with the advisory board. The identity of the co-chairs and the advisory board shall reflect the chapter’s commitment to gender equality and diversity in governance. Only ICON•S members can be co-chairs. Each year, the two co-chairs will communicate an annual summary of their activities to the ICON•S Executive Committee, to the advisory board, and to the members of the Chapter.
The two co-chairs will hold office for 3 years with one possible reelection. Every three years the two co-chairs will be elected by majority vote from among the members of the advisory board.
Membership of the advisory board
Based on his or her merits as a public law scholar, the candidates will have to be approved by the two co-chairs, in consultation with the advisory board, for a term of three years which can be renewed for additional periods. The number of members in the advisory board shall not exceed 16.
Rights and duties of advisory board members
All members of the advisory board have the following rights and duties:
- Join ICON•S and pay the ICON•S annual membership fee.
- Promote the mission and values of ICON•S.
- Participate in the activities of the Chapter.
The Israeli Chapter will organize each year a national conference. For this purpose, it can work with existing national and regional organizations. The annual conference will be held during a different month than that in which the ICON•S annual meeting is held, preferably before it.
The Chapter rules can be amended by a majority vote among the two co-chairs and the members advisory board.
Co-chairs: Moshe Cohen-Eliya and Gila Stopler.
Secretary of the Chapter: Bell Yosef.