The Spanish Chapter of the ICON·S | The International Society of Public Law (hereafter: ICON·S ) is established with the aim of creating an interdisciplinary scientific forum to debate the challenges facing Public Law today. Its main objective is to offer an intergenerational working space for those who direct their efforts to the advancement of Public Law, building academic links in Spain and with the rest of the world, with special attention to the Spanish-speaking geographical areas.
The Spanish Chapter of ICON·S is based on trust in dialogue and academic debate; on commitment to democracy, the rule of law and human rights; and on openness to all disciplines of Public Law, especially, but not only, Constitutional Law, Administrative Law, International and European Union Law, as well as the Philosophy of Law and Political Sciences.
The aim of the Spanish Chapter is to pursue the mission of ICON·S within Spain.
I. The Chapter is established in order to:
- Promote the values of ICON·S , and in particular, the commitment to an interdisciplinary approach to public law that engages practitioners interested on this field so as to better understand global and transnational legal developments.
- Advance and promote the fundamental constitutional values of democracy, equality, justice and human rights and its realization within the Spanish context.
- The concept of equality will be interpreted based in its broadness and it will include gender, sexual orientation, age, race, ethnicity, political, religion and philosophical orientation among others.
- Work with ICON·S to promote knowledge of and membership in the organization globally.
- Promote the capacity and engagement of junior scholars within the work of ICON·S .
- Complement and work cooperatively with existing national and regional organizations, but remain distinct from them.
II. The Chapter shall:
- Be organized in a way that reflects ICON·S commitments to transparency, accountability and good governance, as well as equality and diversity.
- Regularly disseminate notice of its events and activities via ICONnect and IberICONnect, and communicate an annual summary of its activities to the ICON·S Executive Committee.
- Be subject in its scope, governance and membership, to periodic reviews by the members of the ICON·S Executive Committee, with the possibility of being asked by the Executive Committee to dissolve, reconstitute or alter the scope and membership.
- Promote joining ICON·S and paying the ICON·S annual membership fee.
- Submit to ICON·S information on its activities, which will, where appropriate, be featured on the ICON·S website.
III. Governance of the Chapter:
The Chapter will be governed by two Co-Chairs who will take decisions by agreement in consultation with the Advisory Board. The identity of the Co-Chairs, the Executive Secretaries and the Advisory Board shall reflect the Chapter’s commitment to gender parity and age diversity in governance. The Co-Chairs, the Executive Secretaries and the members of the Advisory Board shall respect a limit of two continuous terms in posts of the Spanish Chapter.
Each year, the two Co-Chairs will communicate an annual summary of their activities to the ICON·S Executive Committee, to the Advisory Board, and to the members of the Chapter.
Co-Chairs will hold office for three years with one possible reelection. Every three years the two Co-Chairs will be elected by majority vote of the members of the advisory board.
IV. Executive Secretary:
The Spanish Chapter of ICON·S will have two Executive Secretaries appointed by the two-Co-Chairs in consultation with the Advisory Board for a term of three years with one possible reelection. The two Executive Secretaries will assist the two Co-Chairs to fulfill the objectives of the Spanish Chapter.
V. Membership of the Advisory Board:
The number of members of the Advisory Board is 19. In addition, representatives of national academic associations of the various disciplines may participate in the Advisory Board with the right to speak but not to vote. The two Co-Chairs will invite the most representative associations of public law disciplines to participate in the annual meeting of the Advisory Board.
The Advisory Board will meet once each year.
The first Advisory Board will be appointed among the founding members based on: excellence in public law scholarship, gender and age equality, institutional and regional representation, and availability to assume the basic obligations of the Spanish Chapter.
At the end of the 3-year term and in case of no re-election, Co-Chairs and Executive Secretaries will automatically become members of the new Advisory Board. The remaining members of the Advisory Board will be elected by the members of the Spanish Chapter. Elections are to be held by email, online survey or similar electronic means. Only members of the Spanish Chapter are eligible to stand for and vote in these elections.
VI. Rights and duties of advisory board members:
All members of the advisory board have the following rights and duties:
- Join ICON·S and pay the ICON·S annual membership fee.
- Promote the mission and values of ICON·S .
- Participate in the activities of the Chapter.
Assume the basic obligations of the Chapter, even executive ones whereas those new obligations does not imply a modification of the Chapter Rules.
Modify the structure of the Chapter without making any reform of the Chapter Rules.
VII. Honorary Presidency:
The Spanish Chapter will have an Honorary Presidency based on excellence in public law scholarship, gender and age equality, and contribution to the International Society of Public Law. The Honorary Presidency will be elected every 3 years by majority vote of the members of the Advisory Board and the two Co-Chairs. It will not exercise executive functions. It should be consulted by the Co-Chairs and Advisory Board regarding the scientific activities organised or supported by the Spanish Chapter.
VIII. Membership of the Spanish Chapter: rights and duties:
Based on her merits a candidate will have to receive the endorsement of two members of the Advisory Board or of the Co-Chair to be admitted to the Spanish Chapter.
All members of the Spanish Chapter have the following rights and duties:
- Participate in the activities of the Chapter on a regular basis.
- Join ICON•S and pay the ICON•S annual membership fee.
- Promote the mission and values of ICON•S.
Failure to take seriously the rights and duties associated with membership may result in suspension or termination of membership. The Co-Chairs and the Advisory Council shall take this decision by an absolute majority of votes.
IX. Annual conference:
The Spanish Chapter will organize each year a national conference, based on a call addressed to young and junior scholars and with the participation of distinguished scholars, judges or governmental officials. For this purpose, it can work with existing national and regional organizations. As far as possible, the annual conference will be held during a different month than those in which the ICON·S and the national associations are held.
The Spanish Chapter, at the request of the members of the Advisory Council or the Scientific Council, will also support other conferences, symposia and colloquia in universities or other institutions, in any city in the country that the Co-presidency considers appropriate.
The Chapter Rules can be amended by absolute majority vote among the two Co-Chairs and the Advisory Board.
The first two Spanish Chapter Co-Chairs and two Executive Secretaries for the tenure 2021-2023 were approved by the ICON·S Presidency and ICON·S .
- Argelia Queralt Jiménez
- Daniel Sarmiento
- Ángel Aday Jiménez Alemán
- Carmen Montesinos Padilla
- Joana Abrisketa
- Leonardo Álvarez
- Nuria Arenas
- Cristina Ares Castro-Conde
- Luis Arroyo Jiménez
- Luis Bouza Garcia
- Susana de la Sierra
- David Fernández Rojo
- Ruth Ferrero-Turrión
- Ignacio García Vitoria
- Itziar Gómez Fernández
- Mario Hernández
- Nuria Magaldi
- David Moya
- Miguel Pérez-Moneo
- Carmen Pérez González
- Jorge Quindimil
- Juan Rodríguez Teruel
- Clara Velasco
- Marian Ahumada Ruiz
- Luis María Díez Picazo
- Victor Ferreres Comellas
- Ruth Rubio Marín