We are pleased to announce that our 2020 Conference will be held at the University of Wrocław followed by our 2021 Conference to be held at Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand. Read more
Mission of the CEE Chapter
The aim of the Central and Eastern European Chapter (hereinafter ‘CEE Chapter’) is to pursue the mission of ICON•S within Central and Eastern Europe.
The CEE Chapter is established in order to:
- Promote the values of ICON•S, and in particular, the commitment to an inter-disciplinary approach to public law that engages constitutional, European, administrative and international law scholars and practitioners so as to better understand global and transnational legal developments;
- Advance and promote the fundamental constitutional values of democracy, equality, justice and human rights;
- Work with ICON•S to promote knowledge of and membership in the organization globally;
- Promote the capacity and engagement of junior scholars, and scholars from the Global South, within the work of ICON•S;
- Complement and work cooperatively with existing national and regional organizations, but remain distinct from them;
- Provide a unique forum for the discussion of constitutional relationships in Central and Eastern Europe.
The CEE Chapter shall:
- Be organized in a way that reflects ICON•S commitments to democracy, transparency, accountability and good governance, as well as gender equality and diversity;
- Regularly disseminate notice of its events and activities via ICONnect, and communicate an annual summary of its activities to the ICON•S Executive Committee;
- Be subject in its scope, governance and membership, to periodic reviews (approximately every 3 years) by the members of the ICON•S Executive Committee, with the possibility of being asked by the Executive Committee to dissolve, reconstitute or alter the scope and membership;
- Promote joining ICON•S and paying the ICON•S annual membership fee;
- Submit to ICON•S information on its activities, which will, where appropriate, be featured on the ICON•S website.
Governance of the CEE Chapter
The CEE Chapter will be governed by two co-chairs who will take decisions by agreement in consultation with the advisory board. Co-chairs shall have different nationality and shall be based at universities in different countries. The identity of the co-chairs and the advisory board shall reflect the chapter’s commitment to gender equality and diversity in governance. Only ICON•S members who have held membership for at least two years can be co-chairs. Each year, the two co-chairs will communicate an annual summary of their activities to the ICON•S Executive Committee, to the advisory board, and to the members of the CEE Chapter. The advisory board will meet at least once each year.
Co-chairs will hold office for 3 years. No one can serve as a co-chair for more than two terms. Every three years the two co-chairs will be elected by majority vote of all members of the advisory board.
Membership of the advisory board
Membership of the advisory board will be based on excellence in public law scholarship. The two co-chairs, in consultation with the existing members of the advisory board, will appoint new members of the advisory board for a term of four years. Following the same process, a member of the board can be appointed for an additional term or terms. In deciding whether to reappoint a board member, the co-chairs will have regard to the need to ensure both continuity of experience and change of perspective within the board as a whole. The number of members of the advisory board shall not exceed 15. A retiring co-chair will automatically become a member of the advisory board for one term of four years (in such case the number of members of the advisory board may increase beyond 15). If the organizer of the annual CEE Chapter conference is not a member of the advisory board yet, he or she will be co-opted to the advisory board for the year when the conference takes place (in such case the number of members of the advisory board may temporarily increase beyond 15).
Honorary Supervisory Board
The co-chairs, upon consultation with the advisory board, may establish the honorary supervisory board that consists of senior scholars within as well as outside the CEE region who could be consulted by the co-chairs and advisory board regarding the general direction of the CEE Chapter.
Membership of the CEE Chapter
Based on his or her merits as a public lawyer, the candidates will have to be approved by the two co-chairs and one member of the advisory board. The CEE Chapter invites membership applications from scholars of any nationality based at universities in Central and Eastern Europe and scholars of nationality of one of the Central and Eastern European countries based at universities outside Central and Eastern Europe, as well as from other scholars interested in Central and Eastern Europe. Members of the chapter are expected to join ICON•S and pay the ICON•S annual membership fee. If you are interested to become a member, please contact us at email@example.com.
The following incompatibility rules apply to members and executive organs of the CEE Chapter:
- Membership in the CEE Chapter is compatible with membership in another national or regional chapter of ICON•S;
- The position of CEE Chapter’s co-chair is incompatible with membership in the CEE Chapter’s advisory board;
- The position of CEE Chapter’s co-chair is incompatible with the Presidency of ICON•S.
- The position of CEE Chapter’s co-chair and CEE Chapter’s advisory board member is incompatible with holding a position at executive organs (co-chairmanship, advisory board membership and alike) of another national or regional chapter of ICON•S.
Shall any of 3. or 4. above happen to CEE Chapter’s co-chair, he or she will automatically become a member of the advisory board for a term of three years.
The co-chairs may establish working groups of the CEE Chapter to organise events and activities.
Rights and duties of advisory board members
All members of the advisory board have the following rights and duties:
- Join ICON•S and pay the ICON•S annual membership fee.
- Promote the mission and values of ICON-S.
- Participate in the activities of the CEE Chapter.
The CEE Chapter will organize each year a regional conference. For this purpose, it can work with existing national and regional organizations. The CEE Chapter will also support other workshops, symposia and colloquia as considered appropriate by the co-chairs.
The CEE Chapter rules can be amended by a joint body called “Assembly”, which consists of the two co-chairs and the advisory board members, by a majority vote of all members of the Assembly.
The contact email of the CEE Chapter is firstname.lastname@example.org.