The aim of the Italian Chapter is to pursue the mission of ICON-S within Italy.
The Chapter is established in order to:
- Promote the mission and the values of ICON-S. In particular, the commitment to an inter-disciplinary approach to public law that engages constitutional, administrative and international law scholars and practitioners so as to better understand global and transnational legal developments;
- Promote knowledge of public law and membership in the organization;
- Encourage the engagement of junior scholars with the work of ICON-S;
- Cooperate with, while remaining distinct from, existing national and regional organizations;
- Elaborate year-in-reviews of developments in Italian Public Law, to be published in the ICONnect blog;
- Communicate an annual summary of its activities to the ICON-S Executive Committee;
- Be subject in its scope, governance and membership, to periodic reviews (approximately every 3 years) by the members of the ICON-S Executive Committee, with the possibility of being asked by the Executive Committee to dissolve, reconstitute or alter the scope and membership;
- Promote joining ICON-S and paying the ICON-S annual membership fee;
- Submit to ICON-S information on the Chapter activities, which will, where appropriate, be featured on the ICON-S website.
Governance of the Chapter: The Chapter will be governed by two co-chairs that will take decisions by agreement in consultation with the advisory board. The identity of the co-chairs and the advisory board shall reflect the chapter’s commitment to gender equality and diversity in governance. Only ICON-S members who have held membership for at least three years can be co-chairs. Each year, the two co-chairs will communicate an annual summary of their activities to the ICON-S Executive Committee, to the advisory board, and to the members of the Chapter.
Co-chairs: The two co-chairs will hold office for 3 years with the possibility of re-election once. Every three years the two co-chairs will be elected by majority vote from among the members of the advisory board.
Membership of the advisory board: Based on his or her merits as a public law scholar, the candidates will be approved by the two co-chairs, in consultation with the advisory board, for a term of three years which may be renewed for additional periods. The number of members on the advisory board shall not exceed 21.
Rights and duties of advisory board members: All members of the advisory board have the following rights and duties:
- Join ICON-S and pay the ICON-S annual membership fee.
- Promote the mission and values of ICON-S.
- Participate in the activities of the Chapter.
Annual conference: The Italian Chapter will organize at least every two years a national conference, based on a call addressed to young and junior scholars. For this purpose, it can work with existing national and regional organizations. The annual conference will be held during a different month than that in which the ICON-S annual meeting is held, preferably before it.
Amendments: The Chapter rules can be amended by a majority vote among the two co-chairs and the members of the advisory board.
Daria de Pretis